Okay, this vegan spaghetti recipe will blow your taste buds. Not in a bad way, but in an “oh so delicious” way.
I randomly thought about this recipe one evening and decided to bring the thought into fruition. I didn’t think it would turn out super delicious, but I was willing to give it a shot.
I’m so glad I gave it a try because if it didn’t taste this good, I probably wouldn’t be typing this blog post.
If you actively read my food blog posts, you would know I already have tons of spaghetti recipes posted there, because spaghetti just happens to be the meal I experiment with the most. Each time I have spaghetti and some leftover tomato sauce (whether canned or blended) sitting in my kitchen cabinet, I suddenly get the urge to experiment.
Today just happened to be one of those days for me to experiment because I had some leftover tomato sauce I used for my pizza recipe and a bunch of uncooked spaghetti sitting in my kitchen cabinet. In addition, I also had leftover mushrooms in my fridge, so adding it to this dish seemed like a great idea.
There’s just something amazing about combining mushrooms with tomato sauce. Fun fact, I never used to like mushrooms until I became vegan. But now knowing that mushrooms and tomato sauce go very well together, I hope to experiment more with it in the future.
If you’re considering going vegan, I highly suggest replacing ground beef with mushrooms. It gives your dish a very nice umami flavor that tastes so amazing when prepared in soups or spaghetti dishes like this one.
In addition, I recommend switching from chicken stock to vegetable stock. You would notice a huge difference in the flavor of your meal the minute you switch to veggie stock.
As someone who used to love cooking with chicken stock, I was so surprised at the amazing flavor vegetable stock gives. It gives my vegan dishes an awesome flavor, plus it’s very healthy. I don’t think I will be giving up vegetable stock anytime soon.
Let me know in the comments if you do give this recipe a try.
Vegan Spaghetti Mushrooms Recipe
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup mushrooms chopped
- ⅔ cup diced red onions
- ¼ cup diced green onions
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- ½ tsp ground red pepper
- ½ tsp oregano
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp curry
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 15 oz canned tomato sauce
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 ½ cup water
- 226 grams spaghetti
- To a medium-sized pot on medium heat, add in your olive oil and chopped mushrooms. Cook mushrooms until it starts to brown
- Throw in your diced red onions, green onions, and garlic cloves. Cook until the redness of the onions starts to slowly fade
- Add in all your spices: curry, oregano, ginger, pepper, salt and combine.
- Add in your tomato sauce and stir. Cover the pan and allow the tomato sauce to fry for about 2 minutes.
- Add in your soy sauce, vegetable stock, water, and spaghetti--making sure to break the spaghetti before putting it in the pot.
- Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes on medium heat.
- Combine and serve.