I thought it would be a great idea to share my first vegan collard greens recipe with you guys.
A similar recipe to this that I published on the blog consisted of bacon and chicken stock. But guess what? This time around, my collard greens don’t contain any kind of meat yet still tastes delicious.
So for my Vegan friends out there, let me introduce to you my first vegan recipe on the blog.
What I’ve been loving so far trying a vegan diet is how much my skin has cleared up. I don’t break out as much as I used to and I also don’t feel as heavy. Basically, I’ve lost a ton of weight since I embarked on this new journey and I’ve also lost my cravings for junk food.
For someone out there who is reading this and thinking of going vegan, I will highly recommend you give it a shot–even if it’s just for a month. You will honestly notice a lot of changes in your habit and will develop a motivation to cook more and experiment more with recipes.
I didn’t think in a million years that I would decide to try a vegan diet but look how far I’ve come. Honestly, for the longest time, I always assumed vegan diets were too restraining and complex hence why I pushed away the idea. But I’ve now come to find out that such is not the case. In fact, it’s quite the opposite.
Going vegan has actually allowed me to see the variety of plant-based foods that exist out there. Most importantly, it has allowed me to become very creative with how I prepare my meals.
I’m honestly loving this diet and I can’t wait to show you guys on the blog some of the delicious recipes that I’ve come up with these past few weeks.
Vegan Collard Greens Recipe
With all that being said, this vegan collard greens recipe that I’m about to show you will absolutely blow your minds. What’s even more amazing about this recipe is that it literally consists of only 5 ingredients.
I tend to make this quite often and even recently, I combined it with some boiled plantains which tasted amazing! I’m pretty sure you guys would love this recipe (even if you’re not vegan).
For those of you who aren’t vegan and are considering this recipe, I highly suggest you add some fish to this meal. Before trying a vegan diet, I actually added some fish to this dish and was super impressed at how it turned out. I even shared some of my meal with a friend who couldn’t stop wanting more.
Here’s the recipe to this delicious meal
Vegan Collard Greens Recipe
- 1 large red onion diced
- 1 bunch collard greens chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes diced
- 1 1/4 cup vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- ½ tsp ground pepper
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp curry
- ½ tsp thyme
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Heat up your olive oil in a medium-sized pot on medium heat and throw in your diced red onions
- Stir the onions until the redness slowly starts to fade off and add your spices (curry, thyme, cumin, ground pepper, salt).
- Throw in your diced tomatoes and combine. Allow the tomatoes to fry in the oil for about 5 minutes
- Once done, pour in your soy sauce and vegetable stock and combine. Allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Throw in your chopped collard green and stir. Cook for an additional 10 minutes or until the collard greens slowly become darker green.
- Serve with boiled plantain or rice and enjoy!