Sweet potato mushrooms are a great addition to the dinner table. These hearty morsels are easy to make and filled with vitamins and minerals. They’re also a great way to sneak more vegetables into your diet if you want to eat healthier.
This recipe is simple to make and tastes great. You can easily make this dish in 20 minutes or less. So if you’re looking for an easy dinner, this is a great option. You can serve these mushrooms with rice or as a side dish with any main course.
Oyster mushrooms as a great meat substitute for vegans
This recipe calls for oyster mushrooms which is perfect for vegans and vegetarians. I love it because it’s savory and hearty, with a meaty texture that makes me feel like I’m eating something other than vegetables. The mushrooms have the same satisfying smoky flavor as bacon, but they’re also juicy and sweet with an earthiness that makes them even more enjoyable to eat. Plus, they’re healthy–Packed with vitamins A and C (as well as iron), you can feel good about feeding them to your family regularly.
Other mushroom options for this sweet potato dish
Portabella mushroom is an excellent choice if you’re looking for an alternative to oyster mushrooms.
It’s not as thin and delicate as the oyster but has a similar texture and taste. It has a meaty texture and earthy flavor, making it perfect for sautéing with potatoes and onions.
- Sweet Potato: You will need to peel the sweet potato and cut it into 1-inch cubes. Alternatively, you can microwave the potatoes for a few minutes before cutting them. Doing so will soften them up and make them easier to cube quickly.
- Vegetable oil or Coconut oil: you can use vegetable oil, coconut oil, or any other oil you have on hand.
- Oyster mushrooms: If you’re a fan of mushrooms and have yet to try oyster mushrooms, now is the time. As their name suggests, oyster mushrooms have a meaty texture and are excellent for grilling or roasting with other vegetables. You can also use them in soups, salads, pasta, or any dish where you want to add some texture or substance without adding much flavor.
- Vegetable stock: Cooking with Vegetable stock is a great way to add flavor to the mushrooms. It adds depth to the dish as well as a little bit of sweetness from the vegetables. It’s worth making a batch of homemade vegetable stock for this recipe, but you can use store-bought if you need more time or space.
- Tomato paste: It makes this dish extra flavourful.
- Seasonings: I used a combination of cumin, black pepper, salt, oregano, cayenne pepper, and thyme for this dish
Making the sweet potato mushrooms
The first step to making this fantastic dish is prepping the mushrooms.
To prepare your oyster mushrooms: Slice off the stems from each side of the mushroom cap and tear them into pieces. I suggest using your hands, as these mushrooms are delicate.
Preheat a skillet with oil on medium heat. Add in chopped onions and mushrooms. Saute for 5 minutes or until the mushrooms become nice and tender. Add your seasonings and combine.
Next, add your tomato paste and vegetable stock and combine. Leave to simmer for two minutes, then add your sweet potatoes.
Cover and leave to cook until the sweet potatoes become nice and tender.
Serve with cilantro lime rice or as a side dish for any main course.
The perfect dinner dish
If you want to add more vegetables to your diet and don’t want to use meat or dairy products, this recipe is perfect. It’s also a great way to eliminate leftover sweet potatoes in your pantry!
Sweet Potato Mushrooms Recipe | Vegan Friendly
- 1 large sweet potato diced
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 8 oz oyster mushrooms cut or torn into pieces
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp vegetable or coconut oil
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp thyme
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Preheat a skillet with oil on medium heat. Add in chopped onions and mushrooms. Sauté for 5 minutes or until the mushrooms become nice and tender.
- Add your salt, peppers, thyme, and cumin, and combine.
- Add your tomato paste and vegetable stock and combine. Leave to simmer for two minutes, then add your sweet potatoes.
- Cover and leave to cook until the sweet potatoes become nice and tender. If sweet potatoes are still hard, add more vegetable broth and leave to simmer until they become tender.
- Serve with cilantro lime rice or as a side dish for any main course.