Coconut Rice is one of my favorite rice recipes. When I was a little girl, my mom would cook it during special events and occasions. And I was always so excited to eat it.
Recently, I was craving it and decided to make it. And I’m so happy I did because it tastes soo yummy! I used some leftover coconut milk I had in my kitchen and surprisingly it turned out amazing!
Whenever my mom made her coconut rice, she will blend the coconut to extract the milky part of it before adding it to the rice. But I personally wasn’t interested in going through that hassle, so I decided to stick to regular store-bought coconut milk and it did a great job.
I didn’t notice any difference at all. So if you’re wondering if you should buy some coconut to make this recipe, you don’t. Just purchase regular coconut milk from your store, and it would do just fine.
Coconut Rice Recipe
For my recipe, I decided to add a variety of peppers. Because you all know how much I love spicy food. So I definitely made sure to throw in the good old habanero pepper. However, if spicy food is not your thing, then you can skip it. But in all honesty, the additional peppers do make this recipe taste BOMB (so I suggest giving it a shot).
I also added a bit of crayfish because crayfish literally makes every meal taste good, especially coconut rice. So if you have some in your kitchen cabinet, feel free to throw some in. You would be very glad you did.
I have good news for all my lazy cooks out there. This recipe literally takes an hour to prepare, so if you dislike waiting, this recipe will make you happy.
Let me know in the comments if you give this meal a try. I promise, it tastes sooo good and I’m so sure you all would love it as well.
RELATED POST: Jollof Recipe
- 2 tbsp coconut oil (or any oil you prefer)
- 1 cup diced red onions
- ½ tsp ground red pepper
- ½ tsp curry
- ½ tsp oregano
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 maggi cubes
- ⅛ cup crayfish blended
- 3 habanero peppers (chopped)
- 1 cup sweet peppers (chopped)
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 ½ cup long grain parboiled rice thoroughly washed
- To a medium-sized pot, heat up your oil on medium heat and throw in your chopped red onions. Fry until the onion redness starts to fade.
- Add in your crayfish, peppers, curry, salt, oregano, maggi cubes, habanero peppers and sweet peppers. Stir for about 5 mins
- Pour in your coconut milk and stir with the other ingredients
- Add in your rice and cook for 45 mins on medium heat
- Serve and Enjoy!