I’ve never prepared a collard greens recipe before, but today, I woke up and decided that I was going to put my cooking skills to the test and play around my kitchen. I went to my local Walmart, picked up a few ingredients and started brainstorming.
I didn’t want to make my recipe super bland and boring, so I decided I would add in a few extra ingredients to give it a bit of juiciness. Luckily I had some sweet potatoes at home, as well as some bacon and a bit of leftover chicken stock I had prepared to make my jollof rice recipe, so I decided to use the ingredients with my collard greens.
I didn’t think for a second that this recipe would turn out super amazing, but I was really shocked at the taste after I had finished preparing it. I even ended up making a new batch the next morning, because It was so delicious.
And so to bring you guys into my kitchen today, I decided I would show you how I prepare this awesome collard greens recipe using just a few basic ingredients.
Sweet Potatoes Collard Greens Recipe
To start off, I made sure to fry the bacon as the very first step. Initially, I thought of just combining every ingredient into one pot and allowing it to simmer. But knowing how much I love my bacon looking crispy and tender, I decided to cook it separately. It made a huge difference to the overall meal.
I chose to use sweet potato instead of Irish because I felt this meal just needed a bit of sweetness to it. Irish potato can taste very bland when combined with veggies, so choosing sweet potato made a huge difference in the flavour.
Adding curry as one of my major spices also made this meal have a bit more richness in taste. If I stuck to regular salt and pepper, I feel like the results would have turned out different. So I’m glad I threw some curry into the mix.
One thing I really liked about preparing this meal was simply the fact that I made it all in one pan. I like simplicity in my cooking, and sticking to one pan made it so much quicker and easier to prepare.
With that being said, here’s the recipe. Also, watch the steps HERE
Sweet Potato Collard Greens Recipe
- 1 lb Chopped Fresh collard greens
- 1 cup Chopped Red Onions
- 1 cup Diced Sweet Potatoes
- 1 cup bacon diced
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp curry
- ½ tsp oregano
- ½ cup chicken stock unsalted
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ tsp cumin
- Heat vegetable oil in a medium-sized pot on low to medium heat and throw in the chopped bacon. Allow bacon to fry for about 10 mins. Once done, set aside on a paper towel.
- On medium heat, using the same pan, add in your chopped onions and allow the onions fry until the redness starts to fade.
- Add in your spices (curry, oregano, salt, pepper, cumin) and mix.
- Throw in your chopped sweet potatoes, chicken stock, and chopped collard greens. Cover the pan for about 10 mins to steam.
- After 10 mins, mix well and cover for an additional 15-20 mins max on low heat.
- Once fully cooked, add in bacon and combine
- Serve with white rice or whatever you prefer.