This chocolate banana cake recipe is honestly EVERYTHING!
If you have some overripe bananas sitting in your kitchen cabinet, don’t throw them away just yet.
Instead, put your baking skills to the test and try out this banana cake recipe. I promise you won’t regret giving this a shot.
I’ve been craving chocolate a lot lately. Each time I think of baking something, chocolate always comes to mind.
I honestly believe it has a lot to do with my hormones this period, but thankfully, I’m not too mad about it.
If you happen to dislike chocolate (which I’m not sure why you would) then you can completely skip adding the cocoa powder and chocolate chips. However, do keep in mind it will take away from the overall flavor of this recipe.
This recipe is honestly so simple and quick to make. It does require a lot of waiting time, but the end result is worth the wait. If you want it ready within minutes, you could try increasing your baking temperature a bit. However, I would strongly recommend you keep it between 360-390 degrees Fahrenheit.
The one thing I love about this chocolate banana cake is that it reminds me so much of my chocolate pancakes recipe. The only difference is that this has banana in it, which gives it its own unique taste.
As a topping for this banana cake, I chose to go with sliced almonds. I had no idea what I was thinking when I chose this as a topping, but I’m grateful I didn’t dismiss the idea. The roasted almonds combined with the chocolate chips gave it a nice crunchy exterior and gooey interior, which had me wanting more.
If you don’t have sliced almonds on hand, walnuts would be a great alternative. I just personally prefer to use almonds over walnuts.
Let me know in the comments if you gave this recipe a try. Also, feel free to tag me on Pinterest with a picture of your meal.
- 1 cup Almond milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2½ tbsp cocoa powder
- ½ cup regular sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 3 medium overripe bananas
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup chocolate chips
- ½ tsp salt (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and line a parchment paper in your baking pan
- In a medium sized bowl, mash your overripe bananas with a potato masher or fork until you achieve a smooth batter consistency.
- Add your olive oil, vanilla extract and almond milk to the bananas and combine.
- To a separate bowl, add in your dry ingredients (flour, cocoa powder, refined sugar, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, salt) and combine
- Add your dry ingredients to your wet ingredients (banana mixture) and combine until you achieve a smooth batter.
- Add in your chocolate chips and combine.
- Pour in your combined mixture into your baking pan. Be sure to coat your baking pan with butter or parchment paper to avoid sticking.
- Top batter with sliced almonds and chocolate chips
- Bake for 60-65mins or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Serve and Enjoy